Gling-Gló (1990) by Björk Guðmundsdóttir & Tríó Guðmundar Ingólfssonar
The album by Björk Guðmundsdóttir & Tríó Guðmundar Ingólfssonar was released on 21. November 1990 on the Smekkleysa label. Musicians on the record were Björk Guðmundsdóttir on vocals and harmonica, Guðmundur Ingólfsson on piano and tambourine, Guðmundur “Pappa Jazz” Steingrímsson on drums, maracas and Christmas bells, and Þórður Högnason on bass.
“Gling-Gló” is an Icelandic onomatopoeia and means “Ding Dong,” the sound of the clanging of a bell.
The Guðmundur Ingólfsson Trio was asked by the Icelandic state radio to do a live set of popular Icelandic and jazz standards. The trio liked the idea, but maybe it was better if they had a singer. Gudmunður Steingrímsson remembered that Björk had appeared on a local jazz radio program and made an impression on him. And even more, at the age of 16, Björk was hanging around the recording sessions of Guðmundur in the countryside at the Glora farm. So Björk was asked to participate in the project for the radio. She made the setlist and they started rehearsing.
The album was recorded in a very short period, 1.-3. September 1990, at the famous Stúdio Sýrland.
They recorded 2 songs, “Ruby Baby” and “I Can’t Help Loving that Man”, live on 23. August 1990 at Ríkisútvarpið (RÚV), the National Icelandic Broadcasting Service.
These 2 recordings were made for the radio program ‘Djasskaffi’, hosted by Ólafur Þórðarsson, supported by technician Georg Magnússon.
The album producer was Tómas Magnús Tómasson, the bassist of the band Stuðmenn, who also did the mixing.
Cover design was by Óskar Jónasson (a filmmaker but also the boyfriend of Björk at that time).
Magnús Þór Jónsson, better known as the poet/singer Megas, wrote the text for the inlay.
Guðmundur Ingólfsson died on 12. August 1991.
Gling-Gló contains Icelandic themes, and almost all the songs are sung in Icelandic.
LP features 14 songs – CD contains 16 songs (14 plus the 2 songs recorded live at RÚV studios)
1. 2. Luktar-Gvendur
3. Kata rokkar
4. Pabbi minn
5. Brestir og brak
7. Bella símamær
8. Litli tónlistarmaðurinn
9. Það sést ekki sætari mey
12. Ég veit ei hvað skal segja
13. Í dansi með þér
14. Börnin við tjörnina
15. Ruby Baby
16. Ég get ekki hjálpað elska þessi maður
1. Composition: Alfreð Clausen. Lyrics: Kristín Engilbertsdóttir.
2. Composition: Nat Simon. Lyrics: Eiríkur K. Eiríksson.
3. Composition and lyrics: Theodór Einarsson.
4. Composition: Paul Burkhard. Lyrics: Þorsteinn Sveinsson.
5. Composition: Jón Múli Árnason. Lyrics: Jónas Árnason.
6. Composition and lyrics: Valdimar Auðunsson.
7. Composition: Mark Fontenoy. Lyrics: Loftur Guðmundsson.
8. Composition and lyrics: 12 September.
9. Composition: Richard Rodgers and Hammerstein Mistaken attribution on the album itself. In reality: Irving Berlin. Lyrics: Loftur Guðmundsson.
10. Composition: Jack Holmes. Lyrics: Jón Sigurðsson.
11. Composition: Sigfús Halldórsson. Lyrics: Tómas Guðmundsson.
12. Composition: Larry Coleman, Joe Darion, and Norman Gimbel. Lyrics: Loftur Guðmundsson.
13. Composition: Pablo Beltran Ruiz. Lyrics: Þorsteinn Sveinsson.
14. Composition and lyrics: Jenni Jónsson.
15. Composition and lyrics: Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.
16. Composition and lyrics: Oscar Hammerstein II and Jerome Kern.